Before the mass production of pharmaceuticals, pharmacists prepared medications from scratch through a process called compounding. Through compounding, Premier Compound Pharmacy in Houston, Texas can customize medications to help meet the unique needs of patients and physicians. Our goal in preparing custom-compounded medications is to help physicians and patients achieve a more positive therapeutic outcome. To learn more, call us at (888) 851-2222.
- Why Premier Compound Pharmcy Is Effective
- Why Use Focused Pain Relief Over Traditional Pharmaceuticals
- Compounding versus Manufacturing
- Compounding Equipment We Use
- Safety and Quality Assurance in the Compounding Pharmacy
- Drugs for Transdermal Compounding
- White Papers
Why Premier compound pharmacy Is Effective
Every prescription from Premier Compound Pharmacy is mixed specifically for each patient, based on their condition and what you request. The ingredients and components that make up every formulation are specifically selected for their synergistic qualities and collaborative effect on certain pain modalities. Since every prescription is made to order, Premier Compound Pharmacy can address the unique characteristics of pain in each condition and circumstance. Learn more about efficacy.
Why Use Premier Compound Pharmacy Over Traditional Pharmaceuticals
The topical application of a custom compounded cream has many advantages, including:
• Delivers relief directly to pain receptors
• Minimizes absorption into the blood stream
• Blocks portions of the inflammatory cascade
• Quickly provides measurable and identifiable pain relief
• Greater effectiveness and results
• Produces fewer side effects
• Reduces the possibility of adverse drug interactions
• Formulations are non-addictive
• Minimizes oxidative stress
• Reduces organ toxicity
• Improves patient compliance and outcomes
• All medicinal ingredients are FDA approved
Other Benefits of Compounded Medications
- Some people are allergic to certain inactive ingredients in a medication, such as a preservative or dye. With our specially prepared creams, we can eliminate allergic ingredients.
- For those who have difficulty swallowing pills, capsules or tablets, the topical application of a cream increases the likelihood patients will comply with treatment.
- If a patient has a hard-to-treat condition that doesn’t respond to off-the-shelf prescriptions, or the strength of the medicine they need is not commercially available, we can customize a formulation.
Compounding versus Manufacturing
- Mass produced, not customizable
- No specific patient in mind when drug is produced
- Prescriber must match patients to the product available
- Economic considerations limit choices in drug dosages and dosage forms
- Drugs created on patient-by-patient basis
- Customizable formula is matched to each patient’s needs
- Treatment is administered directly to the area of pain in the most effective dosage form available
- Ingredients and dosages can be combined and adjusted for maximum effectiveness
Compounding Equipment We Use
At Premier Compound Pharmacy, we use the latest state-of-the-art equipment to formulate our custom transdermal creams:
- Electronic (Digital) Balance
This device is absolutely necessary for efficient and accurate compounding.
- Electronic Mortar & Pestles
The electronic and electro mortar and pestles provide pharmacists with the modern way to compound creams, gels and ointments.
- Ointment Mill
The ointment mill reduces particle size of powders, crystals and creams into a smooth, finished, elegant, and odorless compound.
Safety and Quality Assurance in the Compounding Pharmacy
At Premier Compound Pharmacy, safety and quality are of the utmost importance in compounding. We take all necessary precautions to offer maximal protection for both the compounder and the patients who will receive the compounds:
- Formulas are thoroughly read and discussed prior to compounding.
- Calculations are double-checked when preparing a formula.
- The finished compound is labeled immediately in order to confirm the identity of the compound prior to dispensing.
- Compounds are worked on one at a time to avoid confusion and possible mislabeling of a product.
- All chemicals used in a formula are triple-checked throughout the compounding process. They are scanned into inventory and scanned for accuracy during compounding.
- An electronic balance attached directly to our compounding lab computer and PK Software is used to confirm proper identification and weighing of chemicals (within + or – 1%).
- A workstation hood is used to provide maximum protection when compounding. These countertop hoods are designed for manipulating potent powders such as hormones, for mortar and pestle compounding, and for encapsulating powders.
- Consistency is maintained by adding helpful notes to formulas to assist the pharmacist and his/her staff in the future.
- Customized log forms are created for compounded products. Clear identification of final products (lot # and expiration date) and patients who received them is important in the case of a recall or complaint.
- A training program regarding hazard codes and recommended safety equipment for handling bulk chemicals is established.
- Procedures for cleaning chemical spills are well-known by all members of the pharmacy team.
- Proper safety clothing, including masks, gloves, lab coats and hair bonnets, are worn when compounding.
Drugs for Transdermal Compounding
Below are the classes of drugs used in our custom compounded formulations:
- Muscle Relaxant
- Tricyclic Antidepressants
- Calcium Channel Blockers
- NMDA-Ca Channel Blockers
- Gaba Agonist
- Mu Agonist
- Substance P
For more information, call Premier Compound Pharmacy at (888) 851-2222.
Below you will find links to white papers the pharmacists at Premier Compound Pharmacy recommend regarding certain conditions, compounding and pain management.